Why use hot mop?
Topo 10 Reasons to Use Hot Mop
- Start to finish with-in hours.
- 2-hour after completion and you can fill your pan with water for inspection!
- No delays help production time.
- Hot mopping provides multi-layer protection!
- 4 layers of asphalt and 3 layers of 15 lb. felt
- Offers more protection then with single ply systems.
- No waiting between coats as with some cold applied methods.
- No folds, special pieces, splicing, or glues needed at dams, corners, laps, or seams, all areas bond together to form a one piece unit. A clear advantage over vinyl and other one piece liner methods.
- Unique shapes and large size-our specialty as Hot-mop conforms to any shape and size with 100% integrity.
- Hot-mop showerpans have been used and have proved their dependability and durability thru-out the country, but especially in California, with over a 60 year track record!
What us involved in making my pan ready?
Proper framing blocking/ backing and drain installation are needed before we can mop your pan. To see examples of shower pans that are ready to be hot mopped, click here.
Mud-set, denshield, hardi-backer, dura-rock, or wonderboard cement backer units, (just to name a few) can be used for your tile backing and it must over-lap the hot-mop.
(check your local codes for this requirements, usually the lap must be a minimum of 2 inches)
What building codes need to be met?
(Please check your local building department for their requirements)
Most areas are now requiring that:
- All lining material must be pitched ¼ per foot to weep holes in the drain by means of a smooth solidly formed sloping sub-base.
- The membrane must extend up the side walls and rough jambs of the shower, to a point not less than 3 inches above the finished dam or threshold. It must also extend outward over the top of the rough dam and fastened to the outside of the rough dam and jamb.
- Weep holes must be clear of obstructions
- A water test is required (usually 24 hrs)
Why worry about the shower pan so much?
So much time and thought is put into protecting the outside of your house from water entering and for good cause, water causes damage. Sometimes extensive damage (especially in the cases of a slow leaking shower pan) that can go undetectable for months or even years until it has caused wood to rot, drywall to crumble and molds to form. Repairs can run into the thousands. An average shower uses 25 gallons of water. That’s thousands of gallons a year! Water penetrates the shower (especially were the floor meets the wall) and reaches your showerpan liner to drain to the weep holes at the drain. Water in water out, a tried and true system. That liner is your best defense against water intrusion that can damage your house. Even the smallest leak over time can cause major problems. Let us at DKSHOWERPANS give you the ultimate protection for your projects. Quality product and service, proven track record you will receive that and more.